The quick service restaurant (QSR) industry has been rapidly evolving over the past few decades and will continue to advance in the future. What are some of the key trends and technological advancements that QSRs will need to address to stay up to date?
- Increased focus on delivery and takeout options: With the rise of food delivery services like Uber Eats and GrubHub, more customers have been opting for takeout and delivery options instead of dining in. QSRs must adapt to this trend by investing in delivery-friendly packaging and technology that streamlines the ordering and delivery process.
- Growth of mobile ordering: Mobile ordering has grown in popularity over the past few years, and this trend is expected to continue. QSRs will need to offer a user-friendly mobile ordering experience, including easy payment options and real-time updates on order status. Over 40% of consumers prefer to place their orders on a mobile phone, according to a report by Bluedot.
- Increased use of automation: Automation can potentially increase efficiency and significantly reduce costs in the QSR industry. From automated ordering systems to robotic kitchen assistants, the use of technology is only going to increase in the coming years. Lightspeed found that 50% of restaurant operators expect to implement more automation technology to support their staff in their 2021 State of the Global Hospitality Industry Report.
- Greater emphasis on healthy options: As health and wellness become more of a priority for customers, QSRs will need to respond by offering healthier options and more transparent information about the ingredients used in their menu items. In fact, “43% of Americans claim to always be on the lookout for healthy options when shopping for food,” Bluedot writes.
- Personalization and customization: Customers are demanding more personalization and customization in their dining experiences, and QSRs are taking note. Restaurants like Blaze Pizza and Rush Bowls have continued to expand their offerings with healthier and unique options. Expect more customization in your favorite restaurants along with stores popping up with the “make-your-own” concept.
- Sustainability efforts: The National Restaurant Association’s new industry report showed that sustainability is becoming an increasingly important issue for customers. The response to this from QSRs includes a variety of solutions like reducing waste, sourcing sustainable ingredients, and energy-efficient appliances.
Overall, the successful quick service restaurants of the future will be those that embrace technology and adapt to changing consumer preferences. Customer demand for convenience, customization, and healthier options will drive innovation in the sector.
Are you looking for a deeper dive into the industry? Keep an eye out for our new “Future of Fast Casual” insight report! In the meantime, visit our page here to learn more about the solutions Evention has for our restaurant sector clients.